Humans are extremely curious creatures, sometimes even too curious for their own good. They say “ignorance is bliss” for a reason, you know. The more you know about your surroundings, the less you want to live on this planet, especially when it comes to the information that concerns each and every person in the world in some way. Without further ado, let’s dive into these 20 weirdest, most disgusting facts you wish weren’t real!
1. Ancient Romans used urine to whiten teeth and wash their clothes. If the urine breath was considered normal, I’d hate to find out what the pre-piss breath smelled like.
2. The iconic Scottish bagpipes were originally made from the whole skin of dead sheep.
3. Jelly beans are covered in bug poop, aka “shellac”. Bon appetit!
4. On average, humans will eat about ZERO SPIDERS during their lifetime while sleeping. Yes, the 8 spiders “fact” is a myth. You can sleep tight now.
5. 15% of the particles floating in the air of your average metro station are human skin cells.
6. The human heart can squirt blood up to 30 feet. Let’s make this a contest!
7. 15% of snails caught by birds will survive the digestion and can slowly slip away after being pooped.
8. U.S. Army medics used tampons to dress various wounds.
9. This may come off as a surprise but pretty much all beetles are edible. To add to that, 1 pound of “beetle juice” contains more protein than a pound of steak.
10. Believe it or not, around 80% of all paper money in the U.S. contains traces of cocaine. Can’t imagine where this number comes from, but sure, let’s assume this is true.
11. To supply the entire NFL with enough footballs for 1 year, you’d need to skin at least 3000 cows.
12. It’s quite possible that you have touched hands with more than 6 men who haven’t washed their hands after masturbating. Or, maybe it’s the other way around, and you haven’t washed your hands, eh?
13. In only 18 months, two rats can turn into one million rats. This is why they’re objectively better adapted to survive in this crazy world, than us humans.
14. FDA regulations allow 10 insects and 35 fruit fly eggs per 8oz. of raisins. I ain’t even mad, those things are delicious! The raisins I mean, not the fruit fly legs.
15. Meat is treated with carbon monoxide (CO) to make it look fresh and juicy.
16. Every square inch of the human body has an average of 32 million bacteria covering it. That’s 32,000,000 for those of you who can’t do math.
17. According to the FDA standards, 1 pound of peanut butter is allowed to contain 150 bug fragments and 5 rodent hairs. Eh, you can’t break me that easily, FDA!
18. And lastly, in the game of “whose fart is the smelliest” the termites would be the all-time champions. I’m just glad they’re tiny, otherwise we’d need to wear gas masks all the time.