Every once in a while a photographer goes viral on Instagram and starts a whole trend of similar-style photographs. Daniel Mercandante seems to be doing just that with his series called “Rainbow Road”. His surreal, colorful photos will blow your mind!
1. The series is aptly called Rainbow Road and shows (you guessed it) a rainbow colored road stretching across various terrains — rivers, forests, clearings in the woods, fields, beaches, etc.
2. The rainbow road looks like a Mario Kart track brought to life. The skilled photographer managed to bring something from a video game into the real world without computer graphics or excessive work in Photoshop after the photos were taken.
3. Daniel Mercandante creates photos for his Rainbow Road series with his camera, at night (or early in the mornings) with very long exposure. This allows the camera to pick up moving lights, showing them as a trail in the final photographs.
4. To achieve the even spacing and width of each lane on the Rainbow Road, Daniel uses a custom built rig of lights, each of which has a gel filter that gives the light a unique color. Mr. Mercandante takes his rig, launches the camera’s shutter remotely, and walks across the train creating the winding, mesmerizing road.
5. So far, most of the photographs taken in this Rainbow Road series have been taken in Connecticut. However, Daniel Mercandante recently went on a trip to Guatemala and took several photos for the series there. Rainbow Road is now international, spanning across borders.