If you like dark, melancholic and surreal photography – look no further. Gabriel Isak is an incredibly talented photographer who likes to explore darker themes in his work and doesn’t shy away from the topic of mental illness and depression. Gabriel started exploring photography about a decade ago and coincidentally that was the time he first started to struggle with depression. Photography was a way to distract himself and also create and explore a different world, one he was in control of, instead of the real world which left him feeling sad and helpless. Eventually depression made him lose all passion for photography and he stopped taking photos. However, once Gabriel came out of it on the other end he’s been using photography to explore his feelings and his own experiences. His photography has a very melancholy and lonely feel to it, but it’s also magical and surreal in a way. The photos are both telling and full of meaning yet vague enough to have everyone choose their own meaning or relate in different ways. Here are some of his incredible works.
1. Let Go
How haunting is this photo?
2. A Girl And The Shadow
A series of photos that will make you think and explore how you feel in your day to day life.
3. This particular one is quite eerie don’t you think?
4.It’s interesting how Gabriel depicts the shadow faceless yet ever present.
5. No matter where you go, it’s always there, right next to you.
6. Wonder what he wanted to say by putting the shadow in front of the girl not behind. Do ever feel like a shadow of a human?
7. Peace Of Mind
Is this photo really peaceful or does it make you feel like the subject is just trying to get away and find peace somewhere in nature?
8. By Your Side
Who is always by your side? Is it your friend or your own inner self?
9. The Sea
The following photos are all part of the series called “the sea”
10. Who is this blue faceless person floating in the water?
11. What does that bird symbolize? It’s strange how you can tell the movement was happening all over the place in this photo yet it seems so still at the same time.
12. Do you even just want to blend into the environment and disappear?
13. Feels cold and very quiet and serene yet a bit menacing. Or is it just me?
14. Is that a little beginning of a rainbow in the corner? Not every day is dark and gloomy.
15. We’ll leave the interpretation of this one up to you.