Did you know that of all the 7 Wonders of the World, only 1 still stands today? It’s the Great Giza Pyramids, by the way. But did you also know there are dozens if not hundreds of other ageless architectural masterpieces that deserve our attention too? Let’s take a short journey and check out these 14 gorgeous locations all over the world!
1. The Santa Sophia or Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey, was completed in 537 AD, and since then has been a church, a mosque and a museum.
2. The Pantheon is a temple built in 117 AD in Rome, and has been standing strong since then! It is currently a museum and Roman Catholic church.
3. The church Santa Sabina in Rome, built in 422 AD, is still used by the Catholic Church… as a church. It’s as if well-put together bricks are sturdy enough to withstand centuries of wars and environmental hazards. Go figure!
4. Rome’s Mausoleum of Hadrian, not to be mixed up with the Colosseum, usually referred to as “Castel Sant Angelo” was built in 139 AD and since circa 400 AD it’s been a fortress and a museum.
5. And there’s the Colosseum. Initially used as an arena for those eager to witness the bloody mess of the gladiator fights. It’s now a half-ruined tourist bait with overpriced tickets and not a whole lot’s going on there.