Let’s be honest, Stranger Things is one of the best new franchises of the decade. Sure, it’s not revolutionary, but it does everything astonishingly well, especially when it comes to paying tribute to its sources like Goonies, E.T., Stephen King’s novels, and a whole bunch of other awesome pop-cultural gems.
Whether you enjoyed the series or not, you gotta admit the Duffer brothers have a great sense of style, and can hide those Easter eggs like it’s nobody’s business. So, here are 17 coolest details you’ve probably missed in Stranger Things 2!
1. In the Arcade you can see several actual games: Dig Dug, Centipede and Dragon’s Lair.
2. The guys first learn about Max from her high score in the leaderboards in Dig Dug (where she calls herself MADMAX). In case you didn’t know, that nickname refers to the film of the same name.
3. Will says that his favorite sweets are «Reese’s Pieces», which previously appeared in “E.T.” in 1982.
4. Bob was played by the actor Sean Astin, best known for his role as Sam in The Lord of the Rings (2002) and Micky Walsh in The Goonies (1985).
5. The scene, where Will sees the Upside Down in his doorway, looks almost identical to the scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” (1977).
6. At the Halloween party you can see such costumes: Madonna from “Like a Virgin” (1984), Alex Owens from “Flashdance” (1983), Rocky from the 1976 film of the same name, Johnny from Karate Kid (1984), 1975 Wonder Woman and Bluto from the “National Lampoon’s Animal House” (1978).